One of the most popular shooting games around, Airsoft is played by millions of people around the world. The exciting shooting game sees players take out their opponents using what is known as an airsoft gun. There are certain things you need to know, to fully understand what the game of Airsoft entails. In this article, we will discuss everything you need to know about Airsoft.
The Origin of the Game of Airsoft
It is generally believed that Airsoft originated from Japan in the 1980s. As a result of the gun laws operating in the country, civilians were not eligible to own real firearms. This led to the development of airsoft guns, which were designed like real guns. These guns were then used for sports and recreational shooting. Soon enough, people started engaging in an activity that mirrored military shootouts, thereby birthing the game of Airsoft. Over the years, the game has evolved, spreading to different parts of the world. Airsoft guns greatly resemble real guns, so much that they are used for military training.
Airsoft is an entertaining war simulation game that can be enjoyed by anyone. All you need to do is to follow all safety measures and you are sure to have fun. The game is best played in a large field and can be played both indoors and outdoors. There is a wide range of Airsoft games to play, and some of them are discussed below.
Team Death Match
Also referred to as TDM, Team Death Match is the most commonly played Airsoft game that there is. The rules of this game are very straightforward. Players are grouped into two teams, shooting against each other till one team is fully taken out.
One of the most exciting Airsoft games, President is also quite common. The gameplay is quite different from Team Death Match. In this game, one of the players is given the designated role of “president”. The remaining players are then grouped into two, with one set playing as bodyguards protecting the president, and the other set as assassins trying to eliminate him. The bodyguards win if the president is successfully taken to a secure location, while the assassins win if the president gets shot.
Capture The Flag
Another team Airsoft game, CTF involves two teams with flags. Each team has its flag and is supposed to guard it against the team. Every time one team captures the opponent’s flag, they gain points. The game is over when one team reaches the score limit.
A unique Airsoft game, Alien is quite different from all the other games discussed above. In Alien, one of the players stands apart as the alien while the other players identify as humans. The humans become aliens once they are shot by the alien. The game goes on till all the humans become aliens. Aliens can also become humans if they are shot, with the game ends when all the aliens become humans. The rules of the game from aliens to humans. Humans become aliens if they are shot anywhere on their body, while aliens only become humans if they shot in a pre-determined body part (maybe the arm, chest, belly, or head).
Other popular games include Close Quarters Combat, Commando Raid, Special Forces, Prison Break, Traitors, King of the Hill, and more. While the timing usually varies from one game to the other, an Airsoft game normally lasts between 15 to 20 minutes averagely.
Player Roles In Airsoft
Just like in the military, there are different roles for players in Airsoft. Some of them are:
- Protector: The protector has the role of protecting the other members of the team. A protector is usually heavily armed.
- Runner: A runner has to make it to base without getting hit. The runner does not need heavy arms, as soldiers and protectors provide cover.
- Sniper: Snipers look out for their team by providing military intelligence. They spot impending danger and brilliantly take out threats to the team. Their main weapons are bolt-action spring rifles and camouflage suits.
Other roles include medic, communicators, and soldiers.
Tips To Enjoy A Game of Airsoft
Whether you are a beginner or a regular player, these tips will help you enjoy the game better.
- Hold Your Airsoft Gun Properly: One thing that most players get wrong when playing Airsoft is holding their guns properly. These players are often seen “chicken winging”, but this leaves you at a disadvantage as your arms get tired very quickly. Your arms also become an easy target for your opponents. The best way to hold your gun is to tuck your elbow in and hold it towards your stomach. This way, you last much longer while being safer on the field.
- Study Your Surrounding: Airsoft is warfare and to last longer in the game, it is best to study your surroundings early on. Take a look around, spot the best places to hide, and how to navigate the field.
- Be Fit: Just like every sport, you must be in shape when playing Airsoft. Carry out a strict workout routine a few weeks before you start playing, in case you feel you are out of shape.
- Gear: Ensure to make use of all the needed gear to stay safe on the field. Wear fitted clothes and good boots, so you can move across the field freely.