With high-speed projectiles flying around the field, protecting yourself with appropriate gear is important – that’s where airsoft armor comes into play.
Airsoft armor, also known as tactical gear, refers to various protective equipment designed to keep players safe on the field. In this article, we will discuss the different types of airsoft armor, factors to consider when choosing armor, how to wear and maintain armor, common mistakes to avoid, and more.
Types of Airsoft armor
There are several different types of airsoft armor, each with its own benefits and drawbacks. Let’s take a closer look at some of the most common types of armor available.
Plate carriers are the most popular type of armor used in airsoft. They consist of a vest with pockets on the front and back that can hold plates made of metal or composite materials.
These plates protect the chest and back areas. Plate carriers are available in various sizes and configurations, with some models including additional pockets for accessories like magazines and grenades.
Chest rigs are similar to plate carriers but without the added protection of plates. They consist of a harness with pouches for magazines and other accessories. Chest rigs are a good option for players who want to carry more gear but don’t need the added protection of plates.
Tactical vests are similar to plate carriers but typically come with less protection. They are made from various materials, including nylon and mesh, and are designed to be lightweight and comfortable to wear. Tactical vests can be configured with pouches and holsters for accessories and are a good option for players who want protection without sacrificing mobility.
Helmets are designed to protect the head from impacts and other injuries. They come in various styles, from basic plastic shells to high-tech ballistic helmets. Some models also include face shields or goggles for additional protection. Mesh masks are also common among players as they are more contoured to the face.
Eye protection is a critical component of airsoft armor. Players must wear goggles or other protective eyewear to prevent eye injuries from stray pellets. Some models of airsoft goggles also offer protection for the lower face. Also, ensure that the goggles are at least ANZI Z87.1 rated to have a safe game.
These types of gears are used to protect the more sensitive areas. It includes tactical gloves, knee and elbow pads, and boots.
Factors to consider when choosing Airsoft armor
When choosing airsoft armor, there are several factors to consider, including comfort, protection level, mobility, durability, and cost.
- Comfort: Airsoft armor that is uncomfortable to wear can hinder your performance on the field. Look for armor that is lightweight and well-ventilated, with adjustable straps and buckles for a snug fit.
- Protection level: The protection level you need will depend on the type of airsoft gameplay you’ll be participating in. If you’ll be playing in a fast-paced, close-quarters environment, you’ll need armor that provides a high level of protection against close-range shots. If you’ll be playing in a more open, long-range environment, you may be able to get away with lighter armor.
- Mobility: The more mobile you are on the field, the better your performance will be. Look for armor that doesn’t restrict your movement or hinder your ability to aim and shoot accurately.
- Durability: Airsoft armor that is durable and can withstand regular wear and tear will provide better value for your money in the long run. Look for armor made of high-quality materials that can withstand impacts and abrasions.
- Cost: Finally, the cost is an important factor to consider. While you don’t want to skimp on protection, you also don’t want to overspend on features you don’t need. Look for armor that fits within your budget while still providing the level of protection and features you need.
How to properly wear Airsoft armor
Now that you’ve chosen your airsoft armor, it’s important to know how to wear it properly to maximize protection and comfort. Here are some tips on how to wear airsoft armor correctly:
- Adjusting straps and buckles: Ensure all straps and buckles on your armor are adjusted properly to ensure a snug fit. Loose straps can cause the armor to shift or move around during gameplay, which can be dangerous.
- Layering clothing underneath: Wearing a layer underneath your armor can help prevent chafing and make the armor more comfortable. Look for moisture-wicking fabrics that will keep you cool and dry during gameplay.
- Ensuring proper fit: Proper fit is essential for airsoft armor to provide maximum protection. Make sure your armor is not too tight or loose, and test it out by moving around and simulating gameplay movements.
- Testing and adjusting during gameplay: Finally, make sure to test out your armor during gameplay and make any necessary adjustments. If you notice your armor is slipping or moving around, adjust the straps or make other changes to improve the fit.
Common mistakes to avoid
When it comes to airsoft armor, players make some common mistakes that can compromise their safety and performance on the field. Here are a few to avoid:
- Not wearing armor at all: Some players choose to forego armor altogether, which can be dangerous and increase the risk of injury.
- Choosing the wrong type of armor: Choosing armor that is too heavy, too light, or not protective enough for your needs can hinder your performance and put you at risk on the field.
- Wearing armor incorrectly: Improperly adjusted armor can shift or move during gameplay, which can be dangerous. Adjust straps and buckles properly and test your armor during gameplay to ensure a proper fit.
- Not maintaining armor: Proper maintenance of your airsoft armor is essential to ensure its longevity and effectiveness. Ensure to clean and store your armor properly after each use to prevent damage and deterioration.
Airsoft armor is an important investment for any airsoft player, providing vital protection against high-speed projectiles on the field. When choosing armor, it’s important to consider factors like comfort, protection level, mobility, durability, and cost and to wear it properly to maximize protection and comfort.
By avoiding common mistakes and properly maintaining your armor, you can enjoy a safer and more successful airsoft experience.