If you’ve ever worn goggles while engaging in any physical activity (including Airsoft), or cold or humid environments, you know how frustrating it can be when they fog up. Not only can it obstruct your vision, but it can also be a safety hazard in certain situations. Fortunately, various sprays on the market can help prevent your goggles from fogging.
In this post, we’ll explore some of the products available and give you some tips on how to use them effectively.
Why do goggles fog?
When warm, moist air comes into contact with a cold surface, it can condense and form droplets. This is what causes the fogging effect on your goggles. To prevent this, you need to either warm up the surface of your goggles or prevent moisture from forming on them.
We already wrote an article about the best anti-fog Airsoft goggles, but one of the most effective and budget-friendly ways to prevent goggles from fogging is by using an anti-fog spray or liquid.
Best anti-fog products for goggles and glasses
Anti-fog products work by creating a thin film on the surface of the goggles that helps to repel moisture. They typically contain ingredients like silicone, hydrophilic polymers, or surfactants that prevent the condensation of water vapor on the lenses. Some of the best anti-fog products on the market include:
- Gamer Advantage FogAway Anti Fog Spray: FogAway is safe for all lens types, even those with an anti-reflective or super hydrophobic coating. Spray away foggy goggles, safety glasses, masks and shields, motorcycle helmets, paintball, and airsoft masks, hunting scopes, eyeglasses, VR headsets, and electronic devices.
- Jaws Premium Anti-Fog Spray: It’s easy to apply, long-lasting, and doesn’t leave any residue on the lenses.
- Z Clear Lens Cleaner and Anti-Fog Spray: This spray not only prevents fogging but also helps to clean and protect your goggles. It’s safe for all lenses, including plastic, glass, and polycarbonate.
- Nano Magic Anti-Fog Sport Spray: Nano Magic is an effective solution to combat fogging, making it your best companion during physical activities. Its clear and smooth formula creates a nano-coating that repels water molecules and prevents fogging. This spray is designed to perform exceptionally well in harsh weather conditions, such as winter. Simply apply the spray to your goggles before use for optimal results.
- GEAR AID McNett Tactical OP Drops: alcohol-free formulated spray. This product is compatible with non-AR goggles and is effortless to use. Apply the drops onto the lenses and wipe them with a microfiber cloth. No rinsing is required, so you can quickly and easily maintain clear vision.
When using an anti-fog spray, follow the instructions. Typically, you’ll need to spray a small amount onto each lens and then buff it in with a microfiber cloth. Be sure to let the product dry completely before using your goggles.
With the right care and anti-fog product, you can enjoy clear vision and comfortable goggles no matter what activities you engage in. No matter which product you choose, it’s important to take proper care of your goggles to prevent fogging. Always store them in a cool, dry place and avoid touching the lenses with your fingers, as this can leave behind oils and other residues contributing to fogging.
Other ways Airsoft players defog their goggles
Here’s another and the most cost-effective solution: Use a 50/50 mixture of water and baby shampoo. Put a small amount of it on a microfibre cloth and smear it until the lenses are clear. Apply this before the game and occasionally re-apply between rounds. This mixture of water and baby shampoo keeps the goggles pretty much fog-free.
One of our readers and Airsoft players wrote that he found the product works very well for him – Rain-X Anti Fog. This liquid contains a special formula that prevents fogging of car windows and bathroom mirrors. He said: “Put it on your glasses, let it work for a minute, then wipe it off with a dry piece of paper. Guaranteed fog free for at least 4-5 hours.”
Although it’s a good hack to know, we did research and found the following information about this product:
Note: The Rain-X bottle plainly states not to use it on plastic without consulting the manufacturer of the plastic. Most plastic or glass glasses use anti-reflective and UV coatings, and Rain-X might remove those coatings, so be extra careful.