Do you know how to load an Airsoft gun properly?
You’re about to go into battle. You’ve geared up, you’ve psyched yourself up, and you’re ready to take down the enemy. But there’s one thing left to do: load your gun.
This step-by-step guide will show you how to load an airsoft gun—from basic pistols to complex rifles. So put on your war face, and let’s get started.
Types of Airsoft guns
There are four types of airsoft guns: spring powered, electric-powered, gas-powered, and manual.
The manual guns are the simplest. As the name suggests, you need to use a workforce to cock the gun and then pull the trigger to shoot. They’re suitable for beginners because they’re less expensive, and there’s no need to worry about batteries or chargers.
Electric guns are the most popular type- they use a battery to power a motor that then fires the BBs. There are three types of electric guns: AEGs or Automatic Electric Guns, pistols, and sniper rifles. The AEGs are the most popular and can be found in almost any game type.
The gas guns use propane or green gas to power a small piston that fires the BBs. These are generally more powerful than electric guns, but they also require more maintenance as you need to keep the gas cylinder full.
The spring-powered guns are the oldest type of airsoft gun and use a coiled metal spring to power the piston. They’re less popular than they used to be, but they can still be found in some games.
Prepping your Airsoft gun for loading
The first step in loading your airsoft gun is to ensure it’s properly prepared. Check to see that the barrel is clear of any obstructions. Remove the magazine and make sure there’s no ammo in the chamber.
If you’re using a CO2-powered gun, unscrew the CO2 cartridge and insert it into the gun. Make sure the valve is closed and tighten the cartridge into place. Pump the grip until you hear a hissing noise, which means the CO2 is flowing.
If you’re using an electric gun, insert the battery into the gun and close the battery cover. Make sure the power switch is off, then turn it on and wait for the indicator light to turn green. This means the gun is ready to fire.
Loading a magazine on an electric Airsoft gun
To load a magazine on an electric airsoft gun:
1. Hold the magazine in your left hand and the gun in your right.
2. Push the small release pin on the magazine’s top with your thumb.
3. Rotate the magazine until it unlocks and pull it straight up and out of the gun.
4. Orient the magazine so that the bullets are facing down and the writing is facing you.
5. Insert the magazine into the gun, ensuring it clicks into place.
6. Push down on the magazine’s top until it locks into place.
Loading a gas-powered Airsoft gun
So you’ve chosen a gas-powered airsoft gun. Great! Before you get to the actual loading, you’ll need to ensure your gun is properly working. That means no leaks! If there is a leak, get it fixed by a professional, as this kind of leak can affect the performance of your gun.
Once you’ve dealt with any possible leaks, it’s time to load it up! You’ll have to put some gas into the magazine first when using gas as fuel for your airsoft gun. This can be done by inserting the filling nozzle of the gas bottle into the magazine and squeezing it gently until it’s full. Once that’s done, you can insert your loaded magazine into the airsoft gun, and you’re good to go!
Also worth noting is that some airsoft guns come with an adjustable power selector switch on either side of the grip. Adjust this before firing so your weapon is set to fire at an appropriate power level for your environment.
Best practices for loading an Airsoft Gun
Once you understand the proper way to load your gun, you must practice good safety habits. Here are some best practices to keep in mind while loading your airsoft gun:
- Always ensure that safety is on before loading. Ensure the barrel is clear of any obstructions and that the magazine is securely fitted before firing.
- Always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction and away from people’s faces.
- Wear protective eye and ear gear when firing – even if you’re alone.
- When loading pellets into a magazine, use an appropriate type of pellet for the gun. Otherwise, your magazine may jam, or the pellets may get stuck in the barrel.
- Do not try to forcefully load more than allowed – too many pellets can jam magazines or cause other damage.
- When at an airsoft field, always check with an instructor or field supervisor to ensure they approve of your ammo before playing.
Safety considerations when loading an Airsoft gun
When loading an airsoft gun, there are a few necessary safety precautions to remember.
- Always wear eye protection when you load an airsoft gun. Accidents can happen even if you’re just handling the ammo, and it’s best to be safe rather than sorry.
- Ensure your airsoft gun is pointed away from you and anyone else in the area when loading it. Failure to observe this safety rule could result in serious injury or death.
- Always practice gun safety and respect for your fellow gamers when handling weapons of any kind, including airsoft guns. Follow the rules of the game closely, and handle your airsoft gun with care at all times. Do your part to improve safety so that everyone can enjoy the sport of airsoft gaming responsibly!
That’s it! You now know how to load an airsoft gun. Remember always to handle your gun with care and always to wear eye and face protection when playing. Never point your weapon at anyone; always treat it as if it were a real firearm. Your airsoft gun will give you many hours of fun with proper care and handling.
Check out our other articles for more Airsoft tips and tricks.
Have fun and happy shooting!